Today and every day we go about our routines feeling safe and comfortable. We lounge around the breakfast table with our loved ones, we played music a little too loudly in our cars on our way to work, we chat with our coworkers about last night’s game, and we sleep soundly at night all thanks to our veterans and current troops. These men and women tirelessly fight for our freedom. They stand in the face of danger, they rally to create change in the world, and unfortunately they don’t always come home. Today, on this national holiday, we’re reminded of the reason Veterans Day was established, and at D&B Tile we want to make sure we’re always grateful to our veterans and supporting our troops.
Veterans Day was originally known as “Armistice Day” which was the first anniversary of the end of World War I. Originally, it was established to recognize veterans who served in that war but eventually changed to recognize all veterans who have honorably served our country in times of war or times of peace. At one point, Congress passed a bill which changed the national holiday from November 11th to the fourth Monday in October; however, in 1975 President Ford recognized the significance of celebrating on the specific date that signified the end of World War I.
Along with thanking and celebrating our veterans, the team at D&B Tile makes efforts to support our troops currently serving. Every Friday, the team sports red D&B Tile shirts for R.E.D. Friday, which stands for remembering everyone deployed. It is to show our continual support and remind those around us to recognize our military members. You can learn more about R.E.D. Friday by visiting Soldiers’ Angels.
The brave men and women who are serving or who have served are our children, our parents, our spouses, our neighbors, and our co-workers. They come from all walks of life, and they couldn’t be more important to the freedoms we all share. Once again, on this national holiday and every day we want to thank our veterans and service members who so selflessly serve to protect our country and freedoms!
If you’d like to support or donate to our service men and women, here are a few charitable organizations to consider:
- Soldiers’ Angels: provides aid and comfort to the men and women of the United States Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, their families, and a growing veteran population.
- Fisher House: best known for a network of comfort homes where military and veterans’ families can stay at no cost while a loved one is receiving treatment.
- Wounded Warrior Project: takes a holistic approach when serving warriors and their families to nurture the mind and body, and encourage economic empowerment and engagement
- Homes for Our Troops: builds mortgage-free, specially adapted homes nationwide for severely injured Veterans Post – 9/11, to enable them to rebuild their lives.
- Puppies Behind Bars: trains prison inmates to raise service dogs for wounded war veterans and explosive detection canines for law enforcement.
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Charitable Service Trust: supports physical and psychological rehabilitation programs that provide direct service to ill, injured, or wounded veterans.